But, for alternative text on graphics, you can just use ält="" and put the text between the quotes within the image code.
HTH,
Richard

On May 2, 2019, at 4:44 PM, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:

Hi.  You might even consider the use of CSS or Cascading Style sheets.  These are documents that will allow you to determine the layout and look of your page, and you could do amazing things with them:  like hiding text from the sighted viewer, yet exposing those texts to screen readers.  Many web pages take this approach when implementing the "Skip to navigation" or "Skip to content" links.  This wold mean that while your web page is well described for your blind visitors, all those info considered unnecessary to the sighted would be hidden from them.  So they would see your images, while those images would have descriptions tagged and read out to the low vision or the blind without any apparent unnecessary clutter.  Contact me off list if you are interested to take this approach.  Cheers!

On 5/3/2019 6:52 AM, David & his pack of dogs wrote:

Kevin, My business “The Diamond Touch Dog Rehabilitation Centre” is training problem dogs.  My logo is a picture of my former guide dog.  On my website thediamondtouchdog.ca I have my grad picture with him in it and a brief text for the screen reader users to describe the picture.  For me, nothing more annoying then when the screen reader just reads out graphic or link.  The screen reader users have no idea what the graphic is. I believe in 022 all websites in Canada must by law be accessible for the blind. The text is imbedded.  So both groups, the sighted and screen reader users are happy.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: May 2, 2019 1:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Graphics and pictures on a web site

Kevin,  It kind of depends on whether the graphic is for esthetics or to pretty up the page, or if it is supposed to represent a button or link.  A very brief description of the pictural would be nice in stead of just hearing, “Graphic.”  All buttons or links that are used to perform a vital function on the page must be labeled.

Another problem that I have noticed lately with control elements on web pages are combo boxes that do not say whatis in them when you hit Enter to open them.  I hear JAWS make the sound when forms mode is open, but when I press the down arrow, all I hear is krikets, not even “Blank.”  I found this recently on a page where I needed to fill in my address.  The State is usually handled with a combo box and you can enter the combo box and hit the first letter of your state and hear those states read, but this site did not work that way.

I am using Firefox, JAWS 18 on a Windows 7 machine.  By the way, I am only running with 3 gigs of ram and have not experienced any of the hangs and sluggishness that all of those on here with the latest of everything seem to be reporting.  I don’t upgrade anything until it just will not work anymore or MS stops supporting.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 9:18 AM

Subject: Graphics and pictures on a web site

Hello, I’m taking a web development class. The final project is to create a detailed web site. AS a blind user I want to make this site as user friendly to screen readers. I have some scenarios below. Please provide me with feedback on what works for you.

Link has a graphic and there is no text. Would you prefer just the link, text and graphic? Or it doesn’t say there is a graphic and does say link and then text telling you the use of the link.

There is a picture used for decorative purposes. The screen reader recognizes the picture and says graphic. Sometimes there will be text and other times no text. Would you prefer the screen reader saying graphic and then the text explaining the picture? Or just the graphic? Or nothing at all?

When the graphics do have text do you like it to be very detailed? Or is it okay to just say something like “more information”? I say “more information as I have seen this many times.

Those that use something to in large the text, what colors work best for you when viewing a web site?

If you have any other comments about problems you encounter on a web site let me know.

Cheers,

Kevin Meyers