Re: more Jaws problems from my list...

JM Casey

God, I remember that Accent thing. never owned one but it was one a couple of the library computers I used to use.

My first synth was an Echo for the Apple II. Funny little guy sounded like he was singing and would sometimes make strange noises as programmes had a tendency to overwrite the textalker software in memory. I recently got an emulator for the Apple II E and it can also perfectly emulate the chips inside the Echo. Was such an odd thing hearing that voice again after so long.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: May 2, 2019 10:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: more Jaws problems from my list...

I can definitely see how people who are used to using Eloquence or something like DoubleTalk at fairly high rates will not like Tom, Samantha or other human sounding voices. I am the same way, I have been using Eloquence for over 20 years and the human sounding voices just don't sound good when you run them very fast. Then it's like one of these ads where some guy at the end reads a bunch of restrictions very fast and in a monotone sort of voice and it just sounds weird. I think Eloquence to me is simply the gold standard when it comes to synthetic voices, you can run it fast and I find it much clearer and easier to listen to then something like DoubleTalk or eSpeak. I should mention that I started using computers during a time when it was all hardware synthesizers, I never had DecTalk or DoubleTalk but started out in 1989 with Jaws and the "Accent" synthesizer.

Below is a demo I found of Accent, I hadn't heard that thing in decades, but it instantly sounded familiar:

Accent synthesizer speech demo

Regards,

Sieghard