From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: Thursday, 2 May 2019 10:19 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Graphics and pictures on a web site

Hello, I’m taking a web development class. The final project is to create a detailed web site. AS a blind user I want to make this site as user friendly to screen readers. I have some scenarios below. Please provide me with feedback on what works for you.

Link has a graphic and there is no text. Would you prefer just the link, text and graphic? Or it doesn’t say there is a graphic and does say link and then text telling you the use of the link.

I’d like to know that the link is presented in a graphic, what the link does and possibly, a brief desdviption under the link of what the graphic is. What are those graphics around the link anyway? Is it the title of a link presented as an image, is it a logo or an actual picture? Ok, it’s not the most important thing in the world to know, but it will give us information that everyone else gets.

There is a picture used for decorative purposes. The screen reader recognizes the picture and says graphic. Sometimes there will be text and other times no text. Would you prefer the screen reader saying graphic and then the text explaining the picture? Or just the graphic? Or nothing at all?

I’d prefer the screen reader saying graphic and then the text explaining the picture. I’m nosey so I’d like to know how the site is decorated. It may be good to state that it’s a decoration too because it may not be so obvious for those of us who’ve never had any sight.

When the graphics do have text do you like it to be very detailed? Or is it okay to just say something like “more information”? I say “more information as I have seen this many times.

I’d put a link for more details if necessary but I’d use it wisely. I think it would be useful for complex images like diagrams, maps, etc.

Those that use something to in large the text, what colors work best for you when viewing a web site?

Can’t help you there but I understand that the emphasis is on colour contrasts, not necessarily any particular colours.

If you have any other comments about problems you encounter on a web site let me know.

Forms AND CAPTCHAS ARE SOME OF MY BIGGEST HEADACHES.

Cheers,

Kevin Meyers