Re: Graphics and pictures on a web site

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  For web accessibility, it is important to take a balanced approach.  Don't make accessibility as a must do thingy, it must be a priority.  At the same time, having a page that is too  verbose in it's description can be a source of distraction.  An image is good for banner description, or a link that deserves highlighting, or a point that is worth stressing, but not every image needs a description in my opinion because your visitors are more keen to get to the meat of your web site.s content.  Cheers!

On 5/2/2019 10:18 PM, Kevin Meyers wrote:

Hello, I’m taking a web development class. The final project is to create a detailed web site. AS a blind user I want to make this site as user friendly to screen readers. I have some scenarios below. Please provide me with feedback on what works for you.

Link has a graphic and there is no text. Would you prefer just the link, text and graphic? Or it doesn’t say there is a graphic and does say link and then text telling you the use of the link.

There is a picture used for decorative purposes. The screen reader recognizes the picture and says graphic. Sometimes there will be text and other times no text. Would you prefer the screen reader saying graphic and then the text explaining the picture? Or just the graphic? Or nothing at all?

When the graphics do have text do you like it to be very detailed? Or is it okay to just say something like “more information”? I say “more information as I have seen this many times.

Those that use something to in large the text, what colors work best for you when viewing a web site?

If you have any other comments about problems you encounter on a web site let me know.

Cheers,

Kevin Meyers