Re: Trouble With Right Alt+Arrow Keys

Dave Durber

Hello David:

Personally, I would never use the upgrade procedure to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am not saying that for the most part and for most people the upgrade procedure worked as it should but, for me, if I am upgrading to a new version of Windows, I prefer to have a clean install.

I performed a new install of Windows 10 Pro on my HP laptop, which I purchased in 2012, , using my existing Windows 7 key to authorise the new installation of Windows 10. My laptop gets no warmer, than it did when running Windows 7 Professional.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: Trouble With Right Alt+Arrow Keys

If cost is a factor you might try and get government funding for a new computer.  There are places that give computers away to those in need.  However, when I took advantage of this, I got a refurbished windows 10 with 250 G internal hard drive. It was slower then molasses in January.  It was then I found out it was a windows 7, upgraded to windows 10. Thus, I scratched up the funds and converted my Mac Book pro, built in 012, to windows 10 and it is a lot faster. The other thing too, was the upgraded windows 7 would get hot within 20 minutes.  The tech said that was normal for an older computer. I did not expect the latest and greatest however, don’t give me a lame horse either.      

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: April 23, 2019 12:53 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

All the hype over security assumes someone wants to hack your system. Most of us don't have anything worth the trouble. In over 25yrs of surfing the net I have never been hacked or know anyone that has. Sure the kids got a virus or two over the years but nothing that really hurt anything and was removed without issue. I run a win 7 machine at the shop and it is not unstable at all. It is just as fast as win10 and doesn't break accessibility on a regular basis. So don't let them brow beat you into spending money you don't have on something you don't really need! I do use a win 10 machine at home and it is fine. Other than re-learning where they hide things on a regular basis it is not all that different than 7. Most of the built in things that aren't very accessible I use 3rd party programs for anyway.
Jaws is not going to stop working on win7 anytime soon either.
On 4/23/2019 9:48 AM, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:

I'm not willing to change my colors for anyone.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:47 AM

I agree with Brian, Windows 7 is a thing of the past and you really should make the jump to Windows 10 whenever it is that you get a new computer. Besides the fact that Windows 7 will have no more support in less than a year, Windows 10 at least by now is so superior to Windows 7 in almost any way, crashes which I had on a very regular bases with Windows 7 are probably reduced by 95% in Windows 10, it’s Stabil and fast and as Brian also said, all screenreader support and development is for Windows 10. You may like things others don’t have, but really, a floppy drive, I mean why on earth would you want a floppy drive? If you have old floppies put what’s on them on a USB stick or an external drive or a DVD, but I’m really curious what the point of one is?

Also, you would be much better off with a 500 Gb or so SSD as your main system drive, then add a good quality hard drive with a larger capacity if you need lots of storage, the system performance will be double or better overall and if you want a fast system you really do need an SSD or your hard drive becomes the proverbial bottle neck in your nice new machine.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:38 AM

Windows 7 is what I use, so even if support ends, I'll still be happy with what I have.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:59 AM

The end of support for Windows 7 is also now only 8 months away, so it makes no sense, if one is going to continue into the future under the Windows ecosystem, to use Windows 7.

The folks that develop JAWS and other screen readers aren't going to "instantly" drop support for Windows 7, but it will eventually be dropped, and probably much faster than support for XP and Vista were dropped during the Windows 7/8/early-10 era given the changes in the underlying architecture of Windows.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  
The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.