Re: Trouble With Right Alt+Arrow Keys

Tyler Wood

Security is only overhyped. Until it happens to you. Similarly, nobody is going to force anyone else to do what they think is right. But most importantly, you *do not* need a $1000 computer to run Windows 10.

Story time. I used windows XP through its release. I continued using it well after Windows 7 came out and, by the time I had to get a new computer, I was so beyond lost and had hardly anyone to turn to. To them, all of this new, foreign Windows landscape was just a walk in the park. They’d been doing it for years. It got to the point where they just threw a list of resources at me and I was forced to read through them.

It is no longer 2014 – and while it may have only been 5 years since the end of support for Windows xp, a lot has changed since then in the security world and computer world in general.

It amazes me, especially now, when Windows offered a free upgrade to Windows 10, the number of people who find themselves forced into switching over to a newer version of Windows. Then find themselves at a complete and utter disadvantage – not only in figuring out where things are but also in the fact that they’re asking a question on a mailing list, support forum, or phone call that has been answered hundreds of times, in most cases, but they simply didn’t pay attention. It won’t happen to me. I don’t care about Windows 10. So, how do I access the settings? Where is the control panel? What are the new shortcuts? I’ll just delete all of those messages.

At this point, it isn’t as though Windows 10 has life altering negative changes for those using Windows 7. I have it running quite happily here on a computer from 2007 so can we please crush this ridiculous notion that it takes up more resources? Similarly, the negativity surrounding Windows updates. I haven’t had Windows restart unexpectedly on me because of Automatic updates since 2015. I don’t upgrade to the latest and greatest build of Windows 10, but it doesn’t mean I’m going to stop using it. I think it’s great that Windows is finally releasing updates that, in theory, won’t be costing anything and so far as I’m concerned are only adding features that are so badly needed.

If you refuse to embrace the changes coming you’re going to be so behind the curve on the most minuscule changes. Be ready to do tons of research – thus hampering productivity. It isn’t as though the changes are staggeringly huge, but if you’re not using an operating system that came out, at this point, 4 years ago, it isn’t fun, you’ll be frustrated, and hate it even more.

And we’re not even talking about screen reader support, which is doubly important to us. Though, at this point, I suppose if one isn’t wanting to upgrade Windows why would they want to run the latest screen reader (which they’ll certainly have fun with as Web browsers get more and more complicated and involved).

I’m not saying to upgrade a computer, physically. It doesn’t take much to upgrade the operating system it runs on, though, and not doing so now will only put you at a disadvantage later.

Just my thoughts