Re: Jaws 2019 not giving background color in Excel 2016 or 2019

Debby Hill

Hi,

Where I volunteer I am using a windows 7 machine, Jaws 2018 and Excel 2010. To get the background color change to report I have to press insert + 5 or insert + F twice to hear the changed background color. It probably shouldnt be that way, but it works!

Debby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 12:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws 2019 not giving background color in Excel 2016 or 2019

Hi Russell,

You could put, no shading, into the Jaws dictionary and set it so nothing is said or assign a sound to it.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 9:09 AM

Hi,

Thanks for confirming that I’m not the only one having this issue. I found a bit of a workaround. There is a setting in Excel, under Quick Settings (Insert + V) called “Shading changes indication”, and when I turn this on, Jaws will announce any color shading changes when moving into a cell. I would still prefer the usual keystrokes to give me that info, but till Vispero sees fit to fix this issue, I’ll continue with the Shading changes indication. The only thing I don’t like about this setting is that every time I go to a cell with no shading, I must hear Jaws say “no shading”. Not a big deal, just a little annoying! 😊

Thanks again.

Russell

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

I do not have a sheet with conditional formatting, but I did just fill a cell with red.  You are not the first person I’ve heard say there was an issue with JAWS reporting the background color in Excel.  I’m still on JAWS 2019 1810 here at work and it seems to be working correctly on this version.  Not sure which update broke this function.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Russell Solowoniuk
Sent: Sunday, April 7, 2019 10:40 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Jaws 2019 not giving background color in Excel 2016 or 2019

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use Conditional formatting in both Excel 2016 and 2019. I choose to use a formula to decide which cells are formatted, choose cells in sheet 1 that do not equal cells in sheet 2, and choose to fill the cells matching the criteria with a red background fill. The conditional formatting is working, but using Jaws 2019, I have no way of knowing whether or not it is working, because Jaws reads “text color black, background color white” when I press Insert + F, and “Black on white” when I press Insert + 5 on cells that have different values. If I load NVDA and press Insert+ F on these cells, NVDA says “black on bright red background”.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am getting so frustrated with Jaws not being able to do basic things like this when a free screen reader like NVDA is able to do it with no problem!

Thanks for any feedback.

Russell

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.