Jaws 2019 not giving background color in Excel 2016 or 2019

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use Conditional formatting in both Excel 2016 and 2019. I choose to use a formula to decide which cells are formatted, choose cells in sheet 1 that do not equal cells in sheet 2, and choose to fill the cells matching the criteria with a red background fill. The conditional formatting is working, but using Jaws 2019, I have no way of knowing whether or not it is working, because Jaws reads “text color black, background color white” when I press Insert + F, and “Black on white” when I press Insert + 5 on cells that have different values. If I load NVDA and press Insert+ F on these cells, NVDA says “black on bright red background”.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am getting so frustrated with Jaws not being able to do basic things like this when a free screen reader like NVDA is able to do it with no problem!

Thanks for any feedback.

Russell