Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

Jason White

Using the latest Microsoft Outlook from Office 365 (under Windows 10, JAWS 2019 with latest update), if I access a contact group inside the Address Book, up/down arrow keys move the focus between the names of group members. The braille display is updated as I move the focus, but nothing is spoken. Pressing Insert+numpad-up-arrow speaks the currently focused list entry, however.

I suspect it’s a JAWS bug, since the braille output is properly tracking the focus. I’m not sure whether that’s the same interface which Brian was testing, though.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 10:22 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Navigating Entries In An E-mail Group List

I wonder if there is a bug in Outlook 2016, or possibly JAWS (and NVDA, too).

When I open a Contact Group, whether with a screen reader on or not, I can easily navigate through each and every member with the up and down arrow buttons.  The difference being that the screen reader is not tracking that movement up and down through the list at all corresponding to where Outlook itself has focus at that moment, which is odd.

I cannot imagine this behavior is intentional, and since it's occurring in NVDA, and it sounds like the same thing is happening in JAWS, I wonder if Outlook 2016 is somehow not exposing the fact that you've changed focus from one row/member to another in the list of members of a Contact Group.