From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:47 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: RE: Advice needed

Sorry to be a little late here. I really think you have to try the
applications with demonstration installation. Usually, these will run for
30 days and then die. You can talk to the software vendors and ask about
accessibility, but that is usually a waste. Sighted developers almost never
have a clue. At the same time, you do not want to take months installing
and uninstalling demo packages. From my experience, here is how to put a
priority on your testing:
1. Anything that is "on-line" or "web-based," meaning that you really don't
install anything locally, but access everything through a browser should be
immediately sorted to the bottom of the list. There are a few exceptions,
but my experience is that anything which is Web-based is slower, more
awkward, and likely to be loaded with inaccessible garbage that some
programmer thought was cute or pretty.
2. Do your research and read the reviews on the software. If sighted
reviewers are excited about the interface, sort those near the bottom.
There almost seems to be an inverse relationship between how the sighted
world rates an interface and accessibility. If a reviewer criticizes an
interface as "old-fashioned" or "clunky," sort those applications toward the
top.
3. Again, gleaning from reviews of the software, the more times you hear
"drag and drop" the further down the priority list the software should go.
None of the above is fail-safe, and there are always exceptions, but if you
follow the above, you should hit something that works sooner rather than
later.
You should also remember that JAWS has some amazing features that make some
pretty bad applications work pretty well.
For instance, fields that have no labels can be labeled in JAWS. Some
fields that appear to be inaccessible can often be reached using the JAWS
cursor. It doesn't always take longer with the JAWS cursor. The
Applications Key is your friend. Some functions that require lots of mouse
clicks can be reached in a menu with the applications key, which is the
rough equivalent of a right mouse click.
Your pastor is right, church records cannot be handled effectively with
Excel. You need a relational database that handles one-to-many
relationships. There used to be a DOS-based integrated package called
Enable, with a little thought, you could design a church database
application that could (and did) run circles around the commercial
databases. Relational database theory, alas, is outside the scope of this
list.
Good luck!