Re: alt text

I am using "that other screen reader" for testing, as I cannot afford a full licensed copy of JAWS and haven't installed in 40 minute mode on this machine.

When I am in a Word document and have encountered a picture I hear "Graphic" announced, but that picture (graphic) is not selected just because I have focus on it.  It gets selected when I immediately hit SHIFT+Right Arrow after hearing Graphic.  At this point bringing up the context menu includes all items appropriate to a picture/image/graphic.

I would presume that selecting a pre-existing image in MS-Word 2010 using JAWS would be very, very similar.  When you originally insert an image it is already selected upon insert, until you navigate off/out of it.