bizarre synthesizer behavior

Van Lant, Robin

I just ran into something I don’t think I have ever encountered before and I’d love to see if someone can explain why this is happening.  I’m calling it a synthesizer behavior, but I’m not really sure if that’s correct, given that I get different, but related results as I change synthesizers. Running Win10 with Office 2016 and one of the first releases of JAWS 2019.

In my job, I review resumes for summer interns.  I got one today that is in Word.  JAWS reports the fond as Garamond.  Most of this resume reads fine, but there are a few lines that are not reading as they appear on screen, based on what I can see and also what JAWS says as I arrow through the text letter by letter.

Here are two examples.

Summer Intern |  Lone Tree, Colorado

In Word, Vocalizer and SAPI read the above as “German Summer Intern |  Danish Lone Tree, Colorado”

If I switch to eloquence, the word “German” is not said before “Summer Intern”, but Eloquence sounds like it’s saying “Summer Intern” with a French or German accent

When I pasted the line into Outlook, it reads correctly.

FINANCIAL SERVICES RELATED EXPERIENCE

In Word, Vocalizer Nathan reads the above as “German FINANCIAL SERVICES RELATED EXPERIENCE“.  It reads correctly in Outlook and Notepad.

Again, if I switch to Eloquence, the word “German” is not said, but Eloquence reads the line with an accent.

In my voice profile, I have the language set to English.  Ever seen something like this?  Kind of reminds me of how sometimes VoiceOver on my phone will read something as if it’s type in another language; Havent’ figured out that oddity either, but that’s a topic for another list.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |  www.keyequipmentfinance.com

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114