Re: Drag and drop removed from JAWS Version 2019.1903.9

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 01:04 AM, James Homuth wrote:
In which situations will transferring files and folders between applications not work using copy/paste? Genuinely curious, as that’s how I do it on a daily basis.
James, I have an example, though before I give it I will say that I don't even use drag and drop with sight to do this task, preferring the "New" button option then going out and selecting the files I want via a standard open dialog.

If you are using Google Drive, and create a new folder, in the center of the screen for the empty folder it says, "Drop files here, or use the New button."  You can have File Explorer windows open select files until you're blue in the face and use CTRL+C to copy (or CTRL+X if you intended to cut for a move) but you simply cannot paste on that particular Google Drive dialog.  The only thing that works in that instance is drop.

I can also think of instances where electronic versions of "draw the line from thing in column A to the correct corresponding thing in column B" type tests, that are meant to imitate the paper version of same, only work with drag and drop.  That style has fallen out of favor largely due to accessibility issues with it.

Moving the columns displayed in the inbox (and other folders) in Thunderbird can only be (or at least used to only be, I haven't done this in a while) doable via drag and drop.

Because drag and drop is a fundamental feature of every GUI I've ever used, dropping support for it in any screen reader seems to me to be a very, very ill-thought-out decision.   You may not need to use it often, and I actually use copy/cut and paste way more myself, but there are times when it's the only alternative and, if you're a screen reader user and the screen reader doesn't support it, that cuts accessibility right there.