Re: Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

Soronel Haetir

Compatibility might not be guaranteed but it has long been a major
concern at MS. Think of how 16-bit programs worked up until the switch
to 64-bit windows, and even then they supported a transition for
awhile with XP mode. And 16-bit programs are far less prevalent than
IE.

Even now IE is an optional feature that has to be enabled by the user
but the MSHTML renderer is not, and it is the renderer where most of
the security issues reside.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 02:10 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:

Removing IE would break an incredible amount of compatibility, which
for MS is a huge no-no.
But, eventually, it will occur.   Backward compatibility is not, and never
has been, perpetually guaranteed.

For those in the situation your parents are in it would behoove them to seek
out alternatives before circumstances force it.  The writing is on the wall
that IE will eventually be expunged from Windows 10.

Of course, provided one is not connecting to cyberspace, you could use a
Windows XP machine as "command central" for a non-internet-connected LAN for
all cameras in a situation like this.  I wouldn't simply because I know that
eventually I'm going to be forced to change, and probably due to
catastrophic failure of the computer.  I'd rather have control over
necessary change to the maximum extent that I can.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a
well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.*

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...