Re: general accessibility of Google apps

Jim Fettgather

Hello, I use Google Docs on a regular basis, and it is usable for
sure, with lots of hotkeys but a real productivity killer, it lags
behind somewhat, but is possible for those without an alternative.

On 2/27/19, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

I'm not a Google fan, and you are right, the outlook calendar is far
better.
But, are you still going to be using Office, or have to use the online
Google interface?
I couldn't imagine being nearly as productive with the Google interface.
Good luck,
Richard

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't
have any." -- Alice Walker

On Feb 27, 2019, at 1:03 PM, Amy Bower
<abower@...<mailto:abower@...>> wrote:

I just learned that my institution might be switching all of its emailing
and calendaring system to Google products. As a long-term Outlook user, this
bums me out a lot. I haven’t used Google products much since my first
attempts were incredibly frustrating. I think they have come some ways in
making their products more accessible to screen readers, but my sense is
still that accessibility is still more clunky and cumbersome than e.g.,
Outlook.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who is a power Google user with
Jaws, who can hopefully reassure me that I won’t have to spend weeks
learning how to use Google mail etc with Jaws. I’ve struggled through
learning how to use Google calendar because I had to for other reasons, but
even after 6 months, I find it more cumbersome to use than Outlook. If
anyone can point to resources where the accessibility of e.g. Outlook and
Google are compared and assessed, that would be helpful. I know there are
online resources, including at Freedom Scientific (or whatever they call
themselves this week), and the Google people have an accessibility
department etc, but when all is said and done, is the accessibility within
the Google environment as efficient as in Outlook? I’m not sure I can stop
the train at my institution at this point, but I’m willing to try anything.
Thanks.
-Amy
Dr. Amy S. Bower
Senior Scientist and Department Chair