Re: What is this "new notification" message I cannot access?

Dave...

Goes back to 2011. But we checked with Dell and their web site indicated it would not support Windows 10.

Dave
Oregonite, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 22:53
Subject: Re: What is this "new notification" message I cannot access?

How old is your laptop? I have an Acer laptop from I think it was 2012 or 2013 with a second generation i5 processor and 6Gb of RAM and it runs Windows 10 just fine. Only thing I upgraded was the original hard drive which I replaced with an SSD and that is the single most big thing you can do to any computer which has a traditional hard drive. You can get a 500Gb SSD nowadays for $100 or $120 and with that and a new installation of Windows you might be surprised.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Sieghard,

Appreciate the suggestion, but alas, my Dell Latitude PC is not capable of supporting Windows 10 -- I gave it a baleful try about a year ago, with nearly disastrous results. Even the MS technicians threw their virtual hands up after trying to help.

So if I need to purchase new hardware, I'm inclined first to dive into the Mac and OS first, and if I really do crash with that, then go buy a reasonably-priced laptop with a separate numpad and the current Windows 10 OS...like I really have all that money...

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 09:05

Well, but now you did reveal it and I’ll post it on all the hacker forums so expect to be highjacked shortly *Smile*

In a way I had better access to some of my applications with Jaws under Windows 7, but I still don’t regret upgrading to Windows 10 since it is such a superior operating system. Windows 10 as well as Jaws running under Windows 10 virtually never crash any more, of course there are always exceptions, but let’s say it’s something like 90% less than with Windows 7.

I don’t want to tell you to do this since everybody has to decide for themselves, but before you spend all that money for a Mac you should probably give Windows 10 a try. Of course it also depends a lot on whether you are up to date on Jaws and SMA’s or if you mind spending $90 a year for a Jaws subscription. Yes, Voiceover is free, but Mac computers still are more expensive and there is a reason why even people like Jonathan Mosen who is proficient with both systems prefers to work with Windows when it comes to productivity stuff like word processing, spreadsheets and so on. If you don’t need them then maybe that is different although I also think Jaws with Chrome is way more efficient on the web than Voiceover with Safari.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:50 AM

Sieghard,

Yes, I do feel so ancient at times...I won't even reveal that my larger audio workstation is still running Windows XP Service Pack 3...

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 08:40

Yes, sorry, forgot you are still on Windows 7.

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:20 AM

Sieghard,

Is that Windows+A limited to Windows 10?

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 07:51

Try to press Windows Key + A and see what notifications you have there and clear them.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:15 AM
Subject: What is this "new notification" message I cannot access?

Hi All,

A couple of days ago JAWS started giving me a message “new notification”.  I get no other message.  I tried the JAWS scanning option on the window, but JAWS said there is no window.  Any ideas on how I access this message?  I hate to just ignore it, in case it is some sort of security risk.

Thanks,

Tim Ford

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.