Re: Unchecking that Accessibility Driver in Settings...

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I believe you’ll lose a lot of functionality when you hit the Mac.  JAWS is a much more capable screen reader than VoiceOver, but that’s just my opinion.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: 19 February 2019 19:50
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Unchecking that Accessibility Driver in Settings...

James,

All well understood, but knowing that JAWS 2019 will run on a Win 7 machine, I pointed out to them just now that they should either disable that choice when a Win 7 op system is detected (and I'm sure that's easy for them to do), or at least put some warnings in their description text.

By the time they come out with a JAWS version that does not run on Windows 7, I'll be on a MacBook and away from JAWS.

Dave
Oregonite, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:34

Subject: Re: Unchecking that Accessibility Driver in Settings...

On a related note, you’ve just discovered a hidden warning it may be worth planning for. Specifically, I wouldn’t hold my breath on JAWS continuing to support Win7 after about version 2020 or 2021. That’s too fundamental a change to make backwards compatible, especially if it proves to actually fix the JAWS cursor issue in later OS’s. Plus, you know, there’s that whole thing about Win7 not being supported past 2020 by Microsoft.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: February-19-19 12:30 PM
Subject: Unchecking that Accessibility Driver in Settings...

Update. Finally got JAWS 2019 working. Had to remove and install fresh, and also had to delete/rename the last two user settings that had changed: settings.ini and default.jcf. In retrospect, I suspect that if I had simply used NVDA to go to my user settings in JAWS 2019 and just deleted those two files, JAWS 2019 would have repaired itself just fine. But man, that was pretty daunting and a time-waste.

If you have Windows 7, absolutely *do not* uncheck that Accessibility Driver in the default settings.

Dave

Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 08:25

Subject: Re: Is there a version of JAWS that doesn't use mirror display drivers?

Mike,

Nope. You're absolutely correct.

Dave

Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 07:58

Subject: Re: Is there a version of JAWS that doesn't use mirror display drivers?

Hi Mike.  If I am not mistaken, I believe the Mirror Display driver is used on Windows 7 computers, and is replaced by the Accessibility driver starting with the Windows 8 operating system.  Anyone using Windows 7 should continue using the Mirror display driver.  That was my understanding of the process, but I could be wrong.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:00 AM

Here's the explanation of the Accessibility Driver from the default Settings Center:

The accessibility driver is a system level driver installed by our software that has been used for many years to provide screen information to JAWS. This information is known as the Off Screen Model (OSM) and is used primarily by review cursors like the JAWS Cursor and Invisible Cursor as well as by JAWS scripts. As Windows 10 increasingly uses different methods of displaying information, this legacy accessibility driver no longer works in many cases.
Clearing this check box configures JAWS to use new API Accessibility Monitor technology we developed in order to help overcome the missing information previously obtained from the Accessibility Driver.
This check box is selected by default.

Take Care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:00 AM

Sieghard,

Um, well I just did this -- unchecked the accessibility driver, and now JAWS 2019 has crashed and refuses to load. Any further suggestions?

Dave

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 21:19

Jaws still uses the so-called accessibility driver. In fact, in Jaws 2019 you can go to the Jaws Settings Centre, load default settings and type all or part of the word “accessibility” driver and you can then uncheck the accessibility driver and use the more modern method with is called “GDI Hooking”. This is currently being tested and Vispero is not making a big deal of it so far since some things may work better with it unchecked, but many things may not. Ultimately the goal is to have this unchecked by default and to restore the functionality of the Jaws cursor to what it once was or better.

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 9:12 PM

James,

Not absolutely sure, but I think the mirror drivers stopped around JAWS 15.

Dave

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 20:52

Subject: Is there a version of JAWS that doesn't use mirror display drivers?

I had heard a long time ago that there was a version coming that dropped mirror display drivers. Does that version exist, and if so, which version is it? Asking as we’re running into the issue of mirror drivers messing with the Windows magnifier. As the primary user of this system is low vision but doesn’t have Zoomtext, and I occasionally provide tech help, we’re having to run Magnifier primarily with JAWS on the system for when I need to use it. That creates problems, because Magnifier requires Aero to run properly, and mirror drivers don’t support aero. Is there a version of JAWS that doesn’t use the mirror drivers? If so, that has just made my life about 5 times easier.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.