Re: using capslock with the desktop layout.

And for the sake of complete clarity, regardless of keyboard layout, my understanding is that the keyboard shortcuts for both layouts are available in either.

The trick being that what those shortcuts are often differs by more than just using a different modifier key (CAPS LOCK versus INSERT), and you have to use the full command with the syntax for the "shortcut style" chosen.

What I'm trying to say above is if some command in Desktop layout were to be INS+Y, and in Laptop layout were to be CAPS LOCK+CTRL+L then you can't just substitute CAPS LOCK in place of INS or vice versa for either shortcut.  If it is only the modifier key that differs, then you can.

I'm sure someone can confirm/refute the above.