Re: Jaws and chess

Edward Green

Hi Marilyn,

You have various options for playing chess online, including email, Skype and various chat rooms. You can also play chess against the computer using a variety of free and paid software packages. Fritz is probably the best, though I'm not sure which version works best with JAWS. Winboard was a good free (though basic) alternative, which may still be available.

Assuming you're in the US, it would be worth checking out the US Braille Chess Association website, www.americanblindchess.org, which provides more details on the various online options.

Other countries (such as the UK where I am) have their own Braille Chess Associations which also run email and over-the-board tournaments, which aren't restricted to people from those countries.

Cheers,

Ed

On 10 Feb 2019, at 21:20, Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure where to start my search, so perhaps someone on the list can
tell me. I want to know about playing chess on-line or using the computer,
and wonder how Jaws does with facilitating this? While I play on a regular
board, I can't always find partners, and thought this would be a way round
the problem.

I was also told, though I have not been able to verify this, that there is
an actual board that can be activated using speech software. Are the on-line
games accessible for Jaws users?

Are there chess players on this list? Any information would be greatly
appreciated. If I need to find a different list for my questions, I would
appreciate references to them.

Many thanks.

Marilyn