Re: Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 02:12 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

“if software works once it will always work”

I am sorry Dan, but that is the funniest statement I have heard in a long time.

I believe those who are attacking the original sentiment are willing to put it into a context that I would not.

If I am running the same software, on the same machine that has not been updated or in any other way tweaked, I have every reason to believe that it will behave in precisely the same manner if the conditions under which I'm using it are the same.

I have dealt with some software that doesn't meet that criteria, and it's invariably buggy/bad in some way.   Even software that doesn't behave as I think it should behave should behave consistently across trials when those trials are in precisely the same operating milieu.

When you start throwing in other factors, OS updates, updates to software over which something like a screen reader runs, etc., then all bets are off, but even then one should have at least some idea of what to expect in the vast majority of cases.