Re: Processor speed

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 08:28 AM, Joseph Norton wrote:
Fast startup is similar to hibernation, but, when it is enabled, the state of Windows kernel is saved in the hibernation file, not in ram.
Indeed.  It's OS hibernation only rather than OS and User State hibernation, which is what full regular hibernation entails.

If you have an SSD, Fast Startup is pretty much useless in improving boot speed perceptibly anyway.   If you have an HDD, I agree entirely with what Mr. Nutt said in that eventually corruption in the hiberfile causes significant issues that can be truly bizarre.  Two of the most difficult issues I ever had to solve were the direct result of corruption in the hiberfile, and it took a very long time to figure out the root cause.

As a matter of course, when I'm setting up any Windows 10 system, disabling Fast Startup is a part of my setup protocol.  The gains from it are minimal, even with an HDD, compared to the heartache I've seen it cause.  I'd rather have a slower system boot time, where I know the OS is being loaded completely from scratch, than deal with the occasional serious issues I've seen Fast Startup create.