Re: Processor speed

Michael Munn

Here is the information about the drive of this laptop:
 HGST HTS541010A7E630

I got this from the disc and Drive section of the device manager.
Thanks 
best regards 
Michael munn 

Michael Munn
Member: Virginia Association of Blind students
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org
Students of: Hadley Institute of the Blind

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 3:44 PM David Ingram <dingram269@...> wrote:
along the lines of talking about the processer speed, it also should be noted about the size of the hard drive cache, also you can't forget that the faster the processer speed the ram speed might have something to do with the speed as well.  as an example the faster processers of today need the faster ram like ddr4 ram if i'm not mistaken.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Feb 2, 2019 5:15 PM
To: "main@jfw.groups.io"
Subject: Re: Processor speed

Hi Michael, 
the start up speed is due to the type of hard drive that you have. There are hard drives with lower revolutions per minute and higher  revolutions per minute and then there are solid state drives which are quicker. There are settings that can be adjusted to change how your windows machine loads.

Regards,
Feliciano
For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v

On Feb 2, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:

Well, don't give up.  If the slow machine doesn't have one (most likely) you should consider having a solid state drive (ssd) installed.  Your boot speed will go up a lot.  You can often get away with a much smaller drive if you aren't using all of what you have.  I went from a 1tb drive on my old laptop to a 512gb ssd.  At that time, 1tb was more than i wanted to spend.  It helped a lot.  I eventually took that drive and put it in my wife's machine and gave up on my 8-year-old laptop, it was way slower than what you have.

Good luck.

CH

On 2/2/2019 16:49, Michael Munn wrote:
Thanks all. Yes the start up time really drive's me crazy. I used two different computers, one of them is faster then the other. I just want to know the information of the speed.
Thanks for answering my question.
Best regards
Michael Munn 

Michael Munn

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 3:37 PM Jason White via Groups.Io <jason=jasonjgw.net@groups.io> wrote:

If applications are running more slowly than you would like, it would be best to find out why before investing in any new hardware.

If I recall correctly, Performance Monitor will show you how much your CPU, memory and storage are being used over time. Some of the same information is in Task Manager as well.

On 2/2/19 2:06 PM, Michael Munn wrote:
Thanks so much for the detail. i really appreciate it.
I got this laptop in DECEMBER of 2015. It's the current generation at that point. 

I just want to know about the information of the laptop that I'm currently using. 
Thanks again. 
Best regards 
Michael Munn 

Michael Munn

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 1:13 PM Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

And if you are gaming over the internet and you are on a 6 Mbps ADSL connection a super-fast computer with the latest processor and 32Gb of RAM won’t do you much good. Computers are a system and they are made up of various components and they all play a roll. To again use my car example from the previous email, the high-end Mercedes or BMW which can go 160 or 180 miles an hour won’t do you much good if you are taking the Road to Hanna on Maui. For those who don’t know of it, it’s a 2-lane highway which over a distance of just over 64 miles has approximately 620 curves many of them hairpin turns and you can rarely go faster than 30 miles an hour. In this case that highway would be equivalent to your internet connection speed. I can take my 7-year old laptop on my 275 Mbps fiber connection and download things a lot faster than somebody with the latest 9th generation I7 system on a much slower connection.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: Saturday, February 2, 2019 10:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Processor speed

all depends on what you are doing. If you're into gaming on line real-time over the internet, then you need one heck of a lot more speed and memory. So it really depends. You're better off than if you still had an Apple II+ with 64k RAM and a 6052 processor.

What I'm saying is that this is a very open-ended question, and your answers will vary. For now, you have plenty, and actually more memory than I have, but then I'm a senior citizen.

Dave
Oregonite, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2019 09:56

Subject: Processor speed

Hi all, this is Michael. 

Today I checked the processor of my HP laptop and here is the information I get for the processor:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz   2.20 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor 

Is 2.2 GHZ enough? and how fast can it run? 

All comment and answers are greatly appreciate it.

best regards 

Michael Munn 

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.