Re: Which twain compatible scanner for use with Jaws 2018/2019 OCR feature

Christopher Zeigler

Hello I have a opticpro A320 is my scanner it works for John's and other programs there is also product line called the optic book series and they also have document scanners as well.

Chris

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, 7:31 AM Richard Turner <richardturner42@... wrote:
I think you would just need to make sure that which ever one you got did not have to be run by some other software. If it can be run purely as a Twain scanner, then it should work fine.
I have an old Canon LIDE 110, I think is the model number and it works fine. It is probably a little slow, but was under $100 when I bought it probably 7 years ago.
HTH,
Richard

"He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself, for every man hath need to be forgiven."

Edward Herbert, 1st Baron Herbert of Cherbury (March 3, 1583 – August 20, 1648)

On Jan 9, 2019, at 4:18 AM, Mike Terry <miketerry1030@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I just learned today that, starting with version 2018, Jaws supports
some limited OCR scanning.  The Jaws tech support would not recommend
a scanner.  The only thing they said is that it had to be TWAIN
compatible.

I have started researching scanners and would like the list's
opinions.  Especially from those using the Jaws OCR feature.  Right
now I just want to OCR my mail.  Eventually, I plan to purchase
OpenBook.  In the mean time, I can't decide if I should go with one of
the lower end Brother's mobile scanners or if I should purchase a
multi function printer/scanner/fax models.

Looking on Amazon, there a a lot of scanners to choose from.  I'd like
to keep the cost under $250 unless this isn't reasonable.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks Mike