Re: Which twain compatible scanner for use with Jaws 2018/2019 OCR feature

Don H

I have a Epson perfection scanner that only needs a USB port to work, no external power required. It is easy to use and works well.

On 1/9/2019 6:40 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:
Try to find a dedicated, stand alone scanner, which is likely to be more accessible and easier to use than an all-in-one unit, which may have an LCD screen with inaccessible menuoptions.  I would recommend Epson Perfection scanners.  My Epson Perfection 4490 has been performing like a work horse with Open Book and JAWS convenient OCR for ten years.
Gerald
On 1/8/2019 9:00 PM, Mike Terry wrote:
Hello All,

I just learned today that, starting with version 2018, Jaws supports
some limited OCR scanning.  The Jaws tech support would not recommend
a scanner.  The only thing they said is that it had to be TWAIN
compatible.

I have started researching scanners and would like the list's
opinions.  Especially from those using the Jaws OCR feature.  Right
now I just want to OCR my mail.  Eventually, I plan to purchase
OpenBook.  In the mean time, I can't decide if I should go with one of
the lower end Brother's mobile scanners or if I should purchase a
multi function printer/scanner/fax models.

Looking on Amazon, there a a lot of scanners to choose from.  I'd like
to keep the cost under $250 unless this isn't reasonable.

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks Mike