Re: Laptop Recommendation

Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@...>

Hi guys
I see a few problems with the mentioned Dell laptop and have a few
recommendations which would give you a better machine.
Firstly it comes with 32 bit windows which can only use 3 GB of the 4
GB installed RAM so I would recommend 64 bit windows. Then another
thing, as a jaws user you don't need a graphics card like that, you
can rather get one with a smaller graphics card and a bigger hard
drive maybe 750 GB or even a TB in this laptop class. The final thing
which is a small technical point and depends what you'll use the
machine for, the processor is 2.2 GHz core i7 with 6 MB cash, if
possible rather look for something with 8 MB cash even if it's only a
2 GHz core i7.
I'm pritty clued up on computers so just ask if you need any further help.

Nickus

On 1/19/12, Farfar in the Workshop <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Jean,

Laptop: Dell E6520 has a numeric keypad and well-sculptured keys.
It's a bit large because of the keypad. Also works with a docking station
(port replicator) for quick disconnect, and you can purchase an additional
battery "slice" for longer portable operating time. I really like this one,
and the Dell Latitude is a workhorse for the business world.

Here are some of the specs:

Dell Latitude E6520
Processor: Intel Core i7-2720QM, 2.20GHz, 6MB Cache
Memory: 4.0GB, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMM
Keyboard: Internal English Keyboard
Video Card: nVidia NVS 4200M 512MB DDR3 Discrete Graphics
Hard Drive: 320GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM
LCD HD+/FHD Cover, 15.6in FHD+(1920x1080) Anti-Glare LED-backlit
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit
Modem: Internal MDC Modem for
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive: 8X DVD+/-RW
Sound Card: Integrated webcam with single digital microphone
Processor Cable: Intel WiFi Link 6205 (802.11a/g/n 2X2) 1/2 MiniCard for
VPRO Latitude E/Mobile Precision (430-3961)
3 Year Warranty 9-Cell (87WH) Primary Lithium Ion Battery for Latitude EXX20

Dave Carlson