Re: Using Access

Ben Humphreys <brhbrhbrh@...>

Hi Kevin,

I went through this earlier this year and gave up. Here are the things I tried:
1. Reading all the Jaws help on Access; many of the JAWS commands previously implemented for Access 2003 have been removed since later versions of Access are supposed to have baked-in accessibility
2. Searching the web for articles on Access 2016 accessibility; found a couple articles from Microsoft on how to do simple things
3. Purchased Microsoft training guide: MOS 2016 Study Guide for Microsoft Access
4. Attempted to go through Chapter 1 of this book
5. Contacted Microsoft Disability Help Desk for further resources and provided a very detailed summary of about 4 example things where Microsoft Access was not accessible or useable from Chapter 1 of the above guide

And then... Nothing.

To be fair, I think Microsoft Disability Help Desk is a good resource and I've always received professional service from them. But they can only deliver what the Access developers implemented.

This is a real shame, since Access is so much more straightforward than heavyweight solutions like Visual Studio and SQL Server Management Studio.

However, Visual Studio has received a lot of accessibility love from Microsoft lately, and I've found the latest versions far more accessible than Access. SQL Management Studio is also very good.

I get the impression that Access is on the way out and although Microsoft is making good accessibility improvements elsewhere, Access is not a priority.

Hope this helps,

Ben

At 09:29 PM 12/11/2018, you wrote:
Hello, I finally got Access 2016. I have tried using some key strokes I found on the internet and they don't work to well. Does anyone know of some documentation that is written coming from the perspective of a screen reader? I'm using Jaws 2018 and Windows10. Thanks, Kevin