Braille display and jaws problem

Ari Damoulakis

Hi everyone
I hope someone can give me some answers or additional tips on what to
try, since I tried asking on the Facebook group, but no luck yet.
I have used a Seika 40 (Perkins in the US) and U2 in the past
successfully with jaws, but for some reason I can't get the newest
version of jaws to communicate with them at all. In fact I can't get
the newest version of JAWS to communicate with any braille display.
When I say communicate, I mean that I am connecting the displays
properly to the PC. I have tried Bluetooth and USB. The displays are
displaying braille and are working with NVDA.
I add them in JAWS. When I try their Bluetooth ports, I am inputting
the com numbers the computer is giving me. When I try the USB, the
drivers are installed correctly, I write USB.
Nothing is happening when I restart JAWS or the PC and JAWS.
I am not getting an error message, but no braille is being displayed either.
I have unpaired them from the PC and paried them again. I have tried
their supposed input and output ports just to make really sure. I have
tried the USB, nothing.
I really have no idea what else to try?
Is it just me or does anyone else believe that the whole interface of
configuring JAWS and a braille display lacks the ease of the iPhone,
or even NVDA? And when you write to support of iether the screenreader
or the braille display manufacturer, the one manufacturer thinks it
could be the other product and the support departments shift the
problem to each other like tennis.
Freedom Scientific should totally redesign the whole braille display
module or interface of jaws, or something should be done to find some
sort of solution to the whole three-way problem of hardware, software
and operating system triangulate in some sort of easier solution.
Thanks very much
Ari