From: Matthew Horspool [mailto:mhorspool@...]
Sent: Wed, Nov 28, 2018 3:03 AM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS Scripts - Are they interpreted or compiled?

Hi,

A few points to answer here:

1. To compile a script: as others have said, CTRL+S is the magic
keystroke. However, you need to be in the script manager to do this! To
get to the Script Manager, press JAWSKey+0. If you do this from within
the application for which the script was written and a JSS file for that
application is present in the user's settings directory, the correct
file should be loaded automatically. Simply ALT+F4 out of the Script
Manager after you receive the compiler success message.
2. Usually, the JSB (JAWS Script Binary) ends up in the same place
as the JSS (JAWS Script Source). The same does not always apply,
however, for JSD (JAWS Script Documentation), JSH (JAWS Script Header),
JSM (JAWS Script Messages), JKM (JAWS Key Map), JCF (JAWS Configuration
File), JDF (JAWS Dictionary File) and so on. This is because a file only
ends up in the user's settings directory if it is changed from the
default or otherwise put there. Usually a new JSB is created because the
JSS has been modified, so both files end up in the user directory even
when modifying stock scripts. However, if you are only modifying
existing scripts and the documentation, keymap, etc has not required an
update, the JSD file may never make it across.
3. Save without compile is useful if something has gone wrong in
your code which is causing the compiler to throw an error and you can't
figure out what. In such a case, you may wish to sleep on the problem
and come back to it next day.

HTH,

Matthew