From: Matthew Horspool
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 2:03 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS Scripts - Are they interpreted or compiled?

Hi,

A few points to answer here:

1.. To compile a script: as others have said, CTRL+S is the magic
keystroke. However, you need to be in the script manager to do this! To get
to the Script Manager, press JAWSKey+0. If you do this from within the
application for which the script was written and a JSS file for that
application is present in the user's settings directory, the correct file
should be loaded automatically. Simply ALT+F4 out of the Script Manager
after you receive the compiler success message.
2.. Usually, the JSB (JAWS Script Binary) ends up in the same place as
the JSS (JAWS Script Source). The same does not always apply, however, for
JSD (JAWS Script Documentation), JSH (JAWS Script Header), JSM (JAWS Script
Messages), JKM (JAWS Key Map), JCF (JAWS Configuration File), JDF (JAWS
Dictionary File) and so on. This is because a file only ends up in the
user's settings directory if it is changed from the default or otherwise put
there. Usually a new JSB is created because the JSS has been modified, so
both files end up in the user directory even when modifying stock scripts.
However, if you are only modifying existing scripts and the documentation,
keymap, etc has not required an update, the JSD file may never make it
across.
3.. Save without compile is useful if something has gone wrong in your
code which is causing the compiler to throw an error and you can't figure
out what. In such a case, you may wish to sleep on the problem and come back
to it next day.
HTH,

Matthew