JAWS Scripts - Are they interpreted or compiled?

Hello All,

           I've got a client who had a one-line JAWS script written years ago for a specific application she uses, and JAWS used to work with it in conjunction with that tweak.  I cannot, however, get JAWS 2018 or JAWS 2019 to do so, and I think I'm missing a step somewhere.

           I had thought JAWS scripts were interpreted and loaded by JAWS at startup time, but that does not appear to be the case (unless I'm doing something else wrong).

           I figure someone here should be able to guide me about how to get a pre-existing script moved along to a newer version of JAWS.