Wikipedia to go dark on January 18

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

OK. I contend this isn't off-topic. People who use the Research-it feature of JAWS to look up something on Wikipedia on January 18 may be in for a surprise, and it isn't Freedom Scientific's fault.
This only applies to the English version, but the Board of Directors of Wikipedia elected to take the English version off-line on January 18 to protest certain pending legislation in the United States Congress -- statutes aimed at strengthening intellectual property rights and preventing privacy.
I won't get into the politics. I just thought I'd send out the alert.
I don't know how the shut-down will be implemented, i.e., whether there will be a message that pops up or whether it will just be temporarily unreachable by browsers. I suspect it is the former, but who knows?

I. Edward Marquette
Direct Dial: 816.502.4646
Mobile: 816.812.0088
Google Voice: 408.692.5640
Facsimile: 816.960.0041
Kutak Rock LLP
1010 Grand Boulevard
Suite 500
Kansas City, MO 64106
ed.marquette@kutakrock.com

#############################################################################################################
ANY FEDERAL TAX ADVICE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE SHOULD NOT BE USED OR REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR
RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.
#############################################################################################################
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.the-jdh.com/pipermail/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com/attachments/20120117/c0b42f88/attachment.html>

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.