Re: A question about system sounds in windows 10

Gerald Levy

Another way to tell that your computer has shut down is to connect a portable hard drive to one of its USB ports. At least with my WD Passport portable drive, I can feel the motor whirring away when it is connected to my desktop. If I leave it connected, and then shut down my desktop, the motor stops whirring when the power is cut off.

Gerald

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 2:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: A question about system sounds in windows 10

Well, that certainly could work!

Thanks, Marty.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 2:11 PM

Tom and others, I have a very low tech way of knowing if your machine is completely shut down or not. I love listening to the Chicago Bears football games on a small transister radio, remember those? I listen on AM 780 WBBM.
When my computer is on, there is a loud high pitch squeel on the radio.
This goes away the minute the computer shuts down. Just keep a small AM radio near your computer. Turn it on before shutting down and wait for the radio signal to clear up and then you know that your computer is completely off.

Love in Christ
Marty
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 10:48 AM

Very interesting, Sieghard.

I guess I can live without the shutdown sound, and figure out other ways to determine whether my computer has indeed shut down.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 11:40 AM

That has been discussed a few times on the list. There is no simple checkbox to turn on the shutdown sound, you have to create an elevated task using the Task Manager to do this. I did quite a long time ago and it was not very reliable, but since the 1809 update which I happened to get in early October before it was pulled, the shutdown sound is I think consistent on my laptop.
I should say that I did not bother to do this on my work desktops. As was mentioned in previous discussions, hearing the shutdown sound is not a 100% guaranty the computer has in fact shut down. I had it a few times when I thought I shut down my laptop in the morning only to find when I cam ehome at night that it was not shut down because something had blocked the shutdown, the sound played, but then the computer didn't shut down.
I believe there is also a way to do this in the registry with one of these registry hacks one can download.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 8:31 AM

And, if anyone knows how to turn on a sound when your computer shuts down, that would be appreciated.

I found the startup sound, but can't find the shut-down sound.

Right now, I don't have a good way to tell that my new Windows 10 computer has completely shut down.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimber Gardner
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 3:14 AM
To: main <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: A question about system sounds in windows 10

Hi all,

On my new windows 10 laptop, I would like to set up a few system sounds associated with certain events. For example, under windows 7, I used to hear a ding when my cursor encountered the top or bottom of the current window. Also, I used to hear a sound when a download completed. Although I've found the system sounds in settings and reviewed the list of program events, I can't figure out how to set these sounds. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Kim

--
Kimberly

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.