Re: Evaluating laptop keyboards for jaws functionality [adding applications key]

Kimber Gardner

Thanks for these very good instructions. I only just had the chance to
test them out and it works perfectly. I now have my print screen key
functioning as an applications key.

On 11/8/18, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi!

I use a Lenovo L440, and I really like it. The one thing it lacks is the
applications key. However, below are the steps to add this functionality to
the laptop's printscreen key; which in its native functionality I don't
think I have ever needed to use. This is from an email Ann wrote some time
ago on this list. And, I suspect this works on any computer. So, this is a
really easy and productive thing to do:

1. In any application (I used Eudora) press insert+0 to open the script
manager.
2. Press control+shift+d to get to the default script manager.
3. Go to the bottom of the file, so it's easy to find and delete if you
decide you don't like it.).
4. Type control+e to begin a new script.
5. Give it a name, no spaces: ApplicationsKey.
6. Tab. Can be attached to key, check it.
7. Tab, and type a synopsis
8. Tab again and type a fuller description.
9. Tab, and fill in a category (I chose system)
10. Tab. Assign to hotkey. (I pressed print screen).
11. Tab. Okay.
12. Control+s to compile.

Now you have this:

Script ApplicationsKey ()

EndScript

Which won't do a thing. You need to add the command {shift+f10} and compile
again.

Now it looks like this:

Script ApplicationsKey ()

{shift+f10}

EndScript
Close the script manager and test. If it doesn't work the way you want,
delete it.

HTH,
Richard