Re: Protected files

Richard Turner

Hi Brian,

No need to be vigorous about disagreeing.  I work at a State office and while the security systems are way more vigorous than what home users have, some State employees insist on opening any attachment they get without checking the actual source so I guess I inherited some of the paranoia of the State IT folks.  I don’t find it that big of an annoyance even though I only open attachments from trusted sources, but with all things techie, everyone has their own tolerance threshold.

Good instructions by the way.

Richard

“Definition of an expert: An ex is a has-been and a spirt is a drip under pressure.” – Bruce U. Utah Phillips

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 6:26 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Protected files

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 09:19 AM, Richard Turner wrote:

NO, you don’t want to do that

We shall have to agree to disagree, and vigorously.   With the long past advent of scanning of e-mail messages and attachments by security suites the use of macros as an infection vector has virtually vanished.  Automatic protected mode in MS-Office is a major, major annoyance to anyone who only opens attachments from sources they know or trust.

Here are the instructions I wrote up with regard to turning it off:  

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.