From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:48 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Footnotes Not Indicated When Navigating by Character in MS Word 2016 with JAWS 2019

Hi Richard,

Give the following a try to see if it'll work in Word 2016:

I recently learned of a command, windows key plus ;, *semicolon*, which opens up a list box that gives you the options of accessing four fields, comments, footnotes, endnotes, and revisions.  Pressing enter on your choice opens a window that I believe contains text you can select and copy.  A caveat:  I have Windows 7 and Word 2010, and have not tried this command with any other operating system or Word version.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:17 AM

Hi!

I noticed that with JAWS 2019 and MS Word 2016, a footnote is not indicated when navigating by character.  It is only indicated when reading by paragraph, line or say-all.  However, if you know where the footnote reference is *and if you select it*, then it is indicated.  The indication is the footnote number, such as “footnote 16.”  In earlier versions of Word and JAWS, a footnote would be indicated irrespective of the navigation or reading method.  Presumably, this is likewise true for endnotes and comments as well.

This is a bit annoying because sometimes you want to know exactly where a footnote reference is.  For example, generally its reference (e.g., “16”) ought to be just after the period at the end of a sentence without any spaces between the period and the footnote reference.  Also, the text font of a footnote reference is superscript; so this ought not present a hard thing for JAWS to indicate.  Irritatingly, if all you do is navigate by character to where you know the footnote reference is, but do not select that area, all JAWS says is “space”; which is false since you know that there is a superscript footnote reference there.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is there a solution for this?  I have looked at the JAWS settings for this but did not find anything.  Maybe I missed it.

Thanks,

Richard