Re: scanning a PDF

If you're willing to send me a copy of the PDF I can at least take a look at it.

You have to remember that the author has absolutely nothing to do with the typesetting of a book.  That's the publisher's doing.  But if the majority of the book is text, and I have no reason to believe it's not, the issue with OCR remains a mystery to me as PDF for professionally published material generally doesn't need to be OCRed at all, since it's a text-based PDF in almost all cases.