Re: How do I make the "pane" with the "resume reading" button go away in MS Word 2016?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Richard T.,

Despite my previous reply, I got brave and tried the solution in the article you cited below.  However, I ran into a conundrum as described next.  I am hoping you might be able to help.

Basically, when I go into the permissions>advanced dialog box as instructed in the solution, there is first a list view listing classes of users.  In fact, this list view is in both the “permissions” and its sub dialogue box “advanced.”  Then, within the “advanced” dialogue box, there is a first check box and then there is a second check box.  For the classes of users, I am focused on the one listed there, me; but they all have the same check box configuration.  The first check box is checked, and it says “Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent.”  The second check box *is* unchecked, and it says “Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object.”

Now, my conundrum is that the solution below says that this second check box should be unchecked.  Well, it already is.  So, I am wondering if the first check box should also be unchecked.

BTW, in the solution it says to go to the “… 15.0 …” HKEY.  I am going to the “… 16.0 …” HKEY.  I think this is correct; referring to the Office version you have.  I have MS Office 16 (i.e., Word 2016); and find this item there and nothing under the “… 15.0 …” HKEY.

Thanks,

Richard M.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How do I make the "pane" with the "resume reading" button go away in MS Word 2016?

Hi Richard, 

I found an article to edit the registry to get rid of the “pick up where you left off” feature.

If you are comfortable editing the registry, give this a try.  I’d backup the registry first even if you are comfortable doing this.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-pick-up-where-you-left-off-office

Good luck,

Richard T.

“Definition of an expert: An ex is a has-been and a spirt is a drip under pressure.” – Bruce U. Utah Phillips

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: How do I make the "pane" with the "resume reading" button go away in MS Word 2016?

I Googled it but found no solution.  It is annoying.  Perhaps if you are *reading* a document it may be a good thing, as others have pointed out.  But, if you are *writing* a document as am I it is not a good thing.  There ought to be some sort of a way to terminate this!

The other Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2018 5:26 AM

I just wait a moment and it goes away. I figured that was a "new feature" that is a tiny bit annoying since I usually don't want to resume reading. I have not checked to see if it is something to uncheck.

Have you googled it?

Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books which are your very own." __  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

On Nov 10, 2018, at 2:14 AM, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

Hi!

In MS Word 2016 using JAWS 2019, when I open a document I can hear two “panes” opening.  As I F6 around, I hear when I go to the “document pane” (which I want) and also “pane” which has a button labeled “resume reading.”  I want to disable this latter pane with the “resume reading” button. In this particular document, it happens to have numerous headings and a few heading levels; so perhaps Word thinks it is some sort of an eBook that I am reading?  Whatever the case may be, how can I disable this?

Thanks,

Richard

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.