Re: Is there a reason to not upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Of course it also depends whether you "upgrade" Windows 7 to Windows 10 or whether you install Windows 10 from scratch including deleting and repartitioning the hard drive, a completely new install will always result in a better running system.
Sieghard, while I can't disagree with you generally, I can specifically.  If you had someone who was assiduous in the "care and feeding" of their Windows 7 (or 8/8.1) system upgrades to Windows 10 are virtually indistinguishable from clean installs.   That being said, most people are far from assiduous about doing the housekeeping necessary to keep any Windows version really clean and uncluttered, and if the system is "well used" and already has issues with instability those tend to carry over.  Upgrading an unstable system tends to result in an unstable system afterward.

The above being said, I still suggest completely clean installs only as a last resort if an individual has years of user data files and installed software they'd like to preserve.  I have found that doing the normal Windows 7/8/8.1 upgrade, followed immediately by another using the same technique within Windows 10 itself (see this article:  Doing an In-place "Upgrade" to Reinstall Windows 10 Keeping Apps/Programs and User Files) and note that you do not need to turn off safe boot, that instruction is superfluous and a grand PITA) pretty much completely purges the current installation of Windows 10 (the upgraded one) and replaces it with a fresh copy.

Only if push comes to shove after having tried the above will I recommend Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.
The grunt work involved in setting up a system with all its programs, add-ons/extensions, settings tweaks, etc., is terribly tedious so I try to do what I can to avoid it when that's possible.  If it isn't, however . . .

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz