From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimber Gardner
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:56 AM
To: main <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: Evaluating laptop keyboards for jaws functionality

Hi All,

How do jaws users evaluate a keyboard on a laptop you are considering?
I'm talking about the presence (or absence) of keys that are necessary
to the functionality of jaws commands.

I received a new Lenovo Ideapad and was dismayed to realize that the
keyboard is missing not only the applications key but also the
dedicated home, end, page up and page down keys. Strangely, my old
Lenovo, the one I am typing this message on, has all these keys so it
never occurred to me to try and verify that the new one would also.
But now I'm wondering, how do you check the keyboard specs when
ordering a new laptop that you haven't actually had your hands on?

Before someone suggests an external keyboard let me say that I require
the portability of a laptop that doesn't necessitate dragging around
an extra keyboard. I also don't really want to remap a bunch of keys
to accomplish everyday functions.

So what do people suggest? Do I really have to drag myself over to
microcenter or some other store so I can actually touch the laptop I'm
considering? Is there another way?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kim

--