locked Re: The waist of things, not including JAWS

David & his pack of dogs

The garbage dump here has a free store where you can pick up things for free the only provision is it must not look horrible. I picked up a 30-channel equalizer there. They have a lot of stuff that if you want to you could practically furnish your place with. Unfortunately they do not take computers. I say unfortunately because it goes to the bottle depot which takes not just returnables also TVS and other electronics. Why is it unfortunate? Because they by law have to dispose of them. Some are pretty much brand new according to a former manager of the bottle depot. Businesses such as government agencies get the latest and greatest and have to dispose of their older models. It is a real shame the waist of good products that goes on in North America. Mind you, on an Australian list someone got a iPhone X for Christmas of this year and by Feb. they were trying to sell it. Me, I use something till it smokes accept JAWS.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Wayland
Sent: November 4, 2018 3:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Don't Make Assumptions!

I don't think anyone is saying that. Dumpster diving doesn't necessarily mean hiding behind a restaurant waiting for a pizza to be thrown out. I have talked to a person who had normal sight and a good job who would go through dumpsters in industrial parks looking for discarded items. Now my understanding is companies don't throw away normal trash. This guy, and people doing the same thing, look for quite valuable items such as electronics, book shelves, tables. He told me that a lot of these items need little or no repair. He told me you would be surprised what these companies would throw away. He told me that one time he had found a set of track lights that he sold for over a thousand dollars. Now Ipersonally don't intend to go out and partisapate in this activety, but if there are people who do then more power to them. Maybe it is kind like a hobby or something. It would be fun to do research on this activety and see just what a person could do though.
Larry