locked Re: Need Details On New Annual Jaws Home Subscription

Yes, this does seem to be the way the world works now, it is the same in my industry which is outdoor and hunting/shooting. Well-known brands like North Face, Icebreaker Merino clothing, Arcteryx and so on all exist as a brand, but they have all been bought by large corporations who own sometimes dozens of brands and often even competing brands. North Face, for example is owned by Vanity Fare Corporation, an American worldwide apparel and footwear company founded in 1899, they recently bought Icebreaker which back in the mid 90's started the merino wool revolution in outdoor apparel after in the 80's everybody was into Polypropelin and Fleece and the synthetic materials were praised to heaven. They also own Smartwool which when both were independent companies were direct competitors. They also own Jann Sport Packs, Eastpak, Timberland shoes and they used to have a lingerie line/division which they sold to Fruit of the Loom. As soon as somebody starts a small company, designs a unique and in the end successful product it seems to be just a matter of time until they are bought out by some big guy. In the hotel industry a few large corporations now own most of the familiar hotel brands such as Best Western, Hilton, Delta, Holiday Inn and so on.

In this thread some of the Jaws bashers kept pointing out that Jaws may not even be around 10 years for now and of course nobody knows, but they are certainly doing anything right from a business point of view and I have a sense that they are a well-run company unlike Greyhound, for example. Yes, I know this isn't even Apples and Oranges, it's Apples and nails comparing those organisations, but a company is either well run and successful or poorly run and in decline. Greyhound recently pulled completely out of Canada except for some routes in the east and one route from Vancouver to Seattle and while they say it's because people nowadays either drive or fly, a lot of it is also because they just couldn't be bothered to change with the times and offer a modern bus experience. There was just now an article on CBC News about a german bus company called Phlixbus who now is considering coming into Canada to take over inter-city bus travel. They are owned by 3 mid-thirties German entrepreneurs who started the business not all that long ago and they are now in 28 countries including California and some other States and are quickly becoming the global dominance in bus travel. I don't want to go too much into the details, but they don't even own their busses but partner with existing bus companies and are more of a tech company providing the logistics similar to how Uber doesn't own their cars but uses people with their own vehicles to drive for them.

Vispero seems in my opinion to be a company who has a clear vision of where they want to be, yes, those who used Window Eyes for 20 years are sad that it's gone, but buying up a smaller competitor to shut them down is also normal business practice and it makes good sense. While competition is healthy this can often also be beneficial since the larger company may eventually incorporate good aspects of the competition into their own product and with Microsoft stepping up development of Narrator and with NVDA doing a good job it is not like Jaws is without competition.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, November 3, 2018 5:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need Details On New Annual Jaws Home Subscription

Angel,

VFO is the conglomerate that bought Freedom Scientific and a couple other companies several years ago, but kept the individual company names.

Then, they added AI Squared. AI Squared had recently bought out/merged with GW Micro; so VFO then owned JAWS, Window-Eyes, ZoomText, Optelec and I think something else.

STILL, they kept the individual companies identities in tact.

Then, as many of us still mourn, they got rid of Window-Eyes and soon after that pretty much got rid of Magic and made ZoomText their magnifier and JAWS their only screen Reader, and also made Fusion now a combined JAWS and ZoomText instead of ZoomText and Window-Eyes which it was with AI Squared.

Now, they bought some other company whose name escapes me and rebranded themselves as Vispero. But, still, all the individual companies have their own name and function.

Welcome to the world of the conglomerate take over.

The same thing has happened and is happening in the media world. Radio stations are owned by a handful of companies now when 30 or 40 years ago, many more were independantly owned, or were part of a very small group.

HTH

Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books which are your very own." __  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

On Nov 2, 2018, at 11:24 PM, Angel <angel238@...> wrote:

I am confused.  What is Freedom Scientific called these days.  I thought it was called Foe.  Now, I hear it is called Vispero.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 12:18 PM

Dude… Seriously. Stop drowning in a  glass of water.

If you’re worried about Visperos viability 5 or 6 years from now, then just go year by year.  They’ve basically eliminated the barrier of the upfront cost or for those who have fallen behind

Pay your $90 to get current and move on to something else to fret over.

Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 4:27 AM

Gotcha.  But Eric Damery, who has been posting about this new pricing arrangement on another JAWS mailing list, claims that it is cheaper than the SMA arrangement.  How is this possible?  Under the SMA arrangement, let’s calculate the cost for upgrading to JAWS 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.  By my calculation, the SMA route would cost $240, $120 for JAWS 2019 and 2020, and another $120 for JAWS 2021 and 2022.  Under the licensing arrangement, the cost would be $90 for each version of JAWS for a total of $360 for versions 2019, 2020,2021 and 2022.  Over the long run, the new licensing arrangement would be much more expensive.  And what is the advantage of taking out a 5 year license, which would cost $450 versus buying a new license each year for $90 a year?  There is no discount for paying in advance.  Suppose you pay for a 5 year license, and Vispero goes belly up in two years?  Then you’re totally screwed because there would probably be no way to obtain a refund for the years you have not yet used up.  Don’t think Vispero could ever go out of business?  Think again.  It has happened in the past.  Companies that sell products for the blind suddenly go under without notice and leave their customers in the lurch.  And with more and more JAWS users jumping to NVDA, and the fact that Vispero is essentially increasing the cost of upgrading JAWS every year, they could certainly tick off enough customers to go the way of GW Micro, Optalek and other companies that have bitten the dust.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 6:45 AM

To: main@...

From what I have read, as well as listened to from Freedom scientific staff and podcast, it would cost you $90 and it would be that recurring charge each year to keep a current license to have jaws installed and up to three computers.

On Nov 2, 2018, at 6:23 AM, Gerald Levy <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

I’m confused.    Suppose I wanted to upgrade from JAWS 16, which is the version I am currently using, to JAWS 2019.  Are you saying that under the new licensing arrangement  I would only have to pay $90 for the upgrade, versus about $480 if I went the SMA route?  Or would I have to pay $270 to cover JAWS versions 17,18, and 2018, on top of the $90 for JAWS 2019? Please clarify.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 11:12 PM

I think this is also an offer which would make it much less expensive for somebody who didn’t keep their SMA up-to-date to get current on Jaws. If, for example, somebody was still on Jaws 16 or even earlier they would have to pay several hundreds of Dollars to get current and then another $120 for the SMA. This way they can just subscribe for $90 a year and they are done. What I haven’t figured out yet is if this also applies for new Jaws users, e.g. if you don’t have Jaws at all, can you just pay $90 a year and download/use the latest version of Jaws and as long as you keep you rsubscription active then you can continue to do so? If so then this really is a good option for new Jaws users because instead of paying $900 or whatever Jaws costs + the cost of future SMA’s they would djust pay $90 a year. After 10 years you would have paid $900 which is I believe what Jaws Home costs, if you had bought it for $900 and then you would buy 5 SMA’s at $120/each you would have paid $1,500 after 10 years so if you are a new Jaws user then $90 a year really is a very reasonable price and who knows what happens in 5 or 6 let alpong 8 or 10 years, maybe Jaws won’t exist any more as such, maybe Microsoft buys them out and it gets merged with Narrator into Microsoft and becomes free, I certainly wouldn’t bet on Jaws being the leading screenreader in 10 years any more.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 7:37 PM

It sounds like it would be a bit more flexible since you don't have to fight with the activation as much if you use a lot of different computers, but otherwise it looks like a way to generate more revenue.  I just renewed my SMa, they will have a little while longer to wait for my extra revenue.

CH

On 11/1/2018 20:53, cecropia64 wrote:

seems to me that this new system is going to be more expensive by a lot.� With a sma, you are only paying sixty dollars a year.� But if the prices quoted are correct, you'll be paying ninety dollars a year and it goes up from there.� What is the purpose of this?�

Stew

On 11/1/2018 9:21 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

Thanks, Michael

�

It seems to me that this new system will replace the older SMA system.

�

Is this correct?

�

I do have one concern, though.

�

$90 a year doesn�t seem to be that great of a deal, since back in 2016, I got two years of Jaws for $120, as long as I purchased the license by December 31.

�

Am I missing something?

�

Tom Behler

�

�

From: main@jfw.groups.io mailto:main@jfw.groups.io On Behalf Of Michael Amaro
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 2:23 PM

�

from the fs e store.

�

�

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:20 AM

�

Michael:

�

Where did you get this info?

�

I�m asking because the explanation seemed to end in mid sentence.

�

I�d like to get the full explanation of the various Jaws home options if possible.

�

Thanks for the help!

�

Tom Behler

�

�

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Amaro
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 2:05 PM

�

Stay current with the latest version of JAWS, the world's most popular screen reader, with an affordable, annual license now available for home users in the United States. Choose between a one-, three-, or five-year option, with the ability to easily renew your license at the end of your initial term.

With a JAWS Home Annual license you will always have the most up-to-date version of JAWS, and will not have to pay for an upgrade to get new versions when they release � you have access to all upgrades released during your license term. Having access to new versions of JAWS as they become available is essential to ensure the ability to use your computer with the continuous updates of Microsoft Windows�, Microsoft Office�, your browser, and other applications you may use.

JAWS License Comparison

What's Next?

After purchasing your JAWS Home Annual license, you will receive an email with instructions and a link to register on the Freedom Scientific Licensing Portal, which allows you to access and manage your software licenses, and provides a simple way to install and activate your software. Your license can be installed on up to 3 of your computers and using the portal, you can easily remove your license from one computer and put it on a new one later.

When registering on the Licensing Portal, make sure to use the same email address you used to purchase your license; if you have already registered from previous purchases, simply select the link you receive and sign in � your license will be available.

JAWS Home is intended for use by end-users for personal, non-commercial use only and runs on all currently supported versions of the Windows operating system. Refer

�

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:53 AM

Subject: Need Details On New Annual Jaws Home Subscription

�

Hello, everyone.

�

I have been reading bits and pieces of info, but can�t seem to find a nice concise summary of the new Jaws annual home license that apparently is now available with the release of Jaws 2019.

�

Jaws 2019 is the last Jaws upgrade on my SMA, so I will need to do something to renew it at some point.

�

Up until now, I�ve renewed my Jaws Home SMA for a two-year period for $120.

�

If there now is a more economical way to do this, I�d certainly love to learn about it.

�

Dr.� Tom Behler from Michigan

�

�

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.