locked Re: Need Details On New Annual Jaws Home Subscription

David & his pack of dogs

If memory serves me correct, you can get emails from outlook as part of office 365 even if your subscription runs out.  You just cannot reply to the messages. The nice thing about the SMA is you can put it on as many computers as you want providing of course you own them.  Apparently, 5 computers are licensed but, you just need to tell them you need more activations.  I went through 2 lap tops in one year.  One, the hard drive went and the battery on a full charge, only lasted for 11 minutes.  I cannot remember why the other one went.  Point is the license and Sma can be used for more then one computer, thus you can make it work.   

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: November 2, 2018 9:09 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Need Details On New Annual Jaws Home Subscription

Thank you Al for saying this. I really wonder why Maria, Gerald and a few others who seem to have little good to say about Vispero and Jaws just don't use NVDA. Of course I doubt they would ever think of contributing to the development of NVDA by making a $5 or $10 donation, but that's OK (for now at least).

As for Gerald's awesome idea to buy a subscription every two years I hate to disappoint him, but I have a feeling that Vispero has thought of that. After all, a subscription is a subscription and that means whatever you get during your subscription period you will not get if you end the subscription. In other words, I assume if you stopped paying the subscription Jaws would simply revert to 40-minute demo mode since when it starts up and goes online to the Vispero server to check the license it will see "Gerald hasn't paid up, go into 40 minute mode".

This is no different from Office 365, you can download and use all the Office apps as long as your Office 365 subscription is active, if you cancel your payment you get a message that you can still use certain features which are free, i.e. I think you can still open files and view them, but you can't edit them etc.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Al
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 2:38 PM

It amazes me what lengts folks will do to try to put the screws to others. If everybody took this route and VO had to close up then you all would be complaining that you ended up getting screwed yourselves. By the way, if you buy a license every other year, did it ever cross your mind that you would have to buy the year that you so wisely skipped?

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 4:28 PM

Actually, that's even less expensive than the SMA, since it makes it $45 per year.  Hmm.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
~ Blaise Pascal ~

On 11/2/2018 5:25 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:

I'll keep that in mind when they yank the SMA.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

~ Blaise Pascal ~

On 11/2/2018 5:22 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

I thought of a suggestion for beating Vispero at its own game.  Instead of buying a one year license every year, why not consider buying a one year license every two years instead?  So if you purchase a one year license for JAWS 2019, consider skipping JAWS 2020, unless it has some new feature you feel that you must absolutely have, and buy a one year license again when JAWS 2021 is released.  This way, you have the benefit of keeping JAWS reasonably up to date and slashing yourannual cost for JAWS in half.  As JAWS 2019 demonstrates, Vispero is finally running out of ideas for new whiz bang features, and is concentrating more on bug fixes and minor enhancements, some of which may be of dubious value.  So just buy a one year license in odd years, or even years, whichever you prefer.  Some users have reported that JAWS versions released in odd years have fewer bugs than those released in even years, while others have reported just the opposite.  Take your pick.  In any case, it’s like having your cake and eating it, too. So instead of being a slave to the annual update, stick it to Vispero instead.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 4:20 PM

As others have pointed out many times, no one’s making you use Jaws. NVDA’s nice and free. I’m primarily a Jaws user and use NVDA mainly in a pinch or if Jaws has frozen on me, but I still donate to the NVDA project. It’s good that there’s an option for those who don’t have the means for commercial screen readers and alternatives are always good. But yes, please come back with some sort of line of how NVDA is a public project that can be abandoned at any time blah blah blah.

Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:53 PM

According to Eric, the advantage of buying a five year license is that it protects you against future price increases.  So if you buy a five year license now for $450, which works out to $90 a year, and Vispero decides next year to raise the price of a one year license to $100, you are locked in to the cheaper price for five years.  What a swell bunch of guys!

Gerald

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 2:55 PM

Hello Gerald:

Don't forget the interest on the money if customers decide to pay for the additional years.

The are laughing all the way to the bank. In addition, it is a case of having their cake and eating it!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 3:21 PM

You’re absolutely right.  To me, the five year license is nothing but a scam to get customers to pay upfront so that Vispero has the use of these funds immediately.  If they were really concerned about their customers who live on fixed incomes, they would offer a discount of say, 10% or 15% if you buy a five years license so that it would cost only $400 instead of $450, as a gesture of good faith to their long-term customers.  Again, I see no advantage paying $450 up front for a five year license when buying an annual license every year for the next five years would cost exactly the same.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 11:06 AM

It seems to me that if and when the SMA program is terminated, the least they can do is discount the licenses with additional years.  Has Freedom Scientific/VFO/Vispero forgotten that most blind people don't have a lot of money since so many of us are not employed or receive our JAWS from agencies?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

~ Blaise Pascal ~

On 11/1/2018 9:53 PM, cecropia64 wrote:

seems to me that this new system is going to be more expensive by a lot.� With a sma, you are only paying sixty dollars a year.� But if the prices quoted are correct, you'll be paying ninety dollars a year and it goes up from there.� What is the purpose of this?�

Stew

On 11/1/2018 9:21 PM, Tom Behler wrote:

Thanks, Michael.

�

It seems to me that this new system will replace the older SMA system.

�

Is this correct?

�

I do have one concern, though.

�

$90 a year doesn�t seem to be that great of a deal, since back in 2016, I got two years of Jaws for $120, as long as I purchased the license by December 31.

�

Am I missing something?

�

Tom Behler

�

�

From: main@jfw.groups.io mailto:main@jfw.groups.io On Behalf Of Michael Amaro
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 2:23 PM

�

from the fs e store.

�

�

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:20 AM

�

Michael:

�

Where did you get this info?

�

I�m asking because the explanation seemed to end in mid sentence.

�

I�d like to get the full explanation of the various Jaws home options if possible.

�

Thanks for the help!

�

Tom Behler

�

�

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Amaro
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 2:05 PM

�

Stay current with the latest version of JAWS, the world's most popular screen reader, with an affordable, annual license now available for home users in the United States. Choose between a one-, three-, or five-year option, with the ability to easily renew your license at the end of your initial term.

With a JAWS Home Annual license you will always have the most up-to-date version of JAWS, and will not have to pay for an upgrade to get new versions when they release � you have access to all upgrades released during your license term. Having access to new versions of JAWS as they become available is essential to ensure the ability to use your computer with the continuous updates of Microsoft Windows�, Microsoft Office�, your browser, and other applications you may use.

JAWS License Comparison

What's Next?

After purchasing your JAWS Home Annual license, you will receive an email with instructions and a link to register on the Freedom Scientific Licensing Portal, which allows you to access and manage your software licenses, and provides a simple way to install and activate your software. Your license can be installed on up to 3 of your computers and using the portal, you can easily remove your license from one computer and put it on a new one later.

When registering on the Licensing Portal, make sure to use the same email address you used to purchase your license; if you have already registered from previous purchases, simply select the link you receive and sign in � your license will be available.

JAWS Home is intended for use by end-users for personal, non-commercial use only and runs on all currently supported versions of the Windows operating system. Refer

�

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:53 AM

Subject: Need Details On New Annual Jaws Home Subscription

�

Hello, everyone.

�

I have been reading bits and pieces of info, but can�t seem to find a nice concise summary of the new Jaws annual home license that apparently is now available with the release of Jaws 2019.

�

Jaws 2019 is the last Jaws upgrade on my SMA, so I will need to do something to renew it at some point.

�

Up until now, I�ve renewed my Jaws Home SMA for a two-year period for $120.

�

If there now is a more economical way to do this, I�d certainly love to learn about it.

�

Dr.� Tom Behler from Michigan

�

�

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.