locked Re: Need Details On New Annual Jaws Home Subscription

It is my understanding that you just pay $90 a year ongoing. I don't think you can pay $90 and go from Jaws 16 to Jaws 2019 and then buy an SMA for $120 to cover Jaws 2020 and 2021 and that of course makes sense. Maybe at some point Vispero will post something to clarify this or maybe they just explain it to you if you call them which really is what you should do because anything you hear on the list will be either based on people's interpretation based on what they read or heard or it will be based on somebody else explaining it after callingVispero and while this could be entirely correct there is still a chance that person misunderstood how this works and hence provides incorrect information.

To me it makes sense if Vispero at some point decides to retire the SMA option and everybody goes to a subscription model even if it's a couple of bucks a month more, but then I don't know this. But as I said before, if they are in fact offering somebody who is way behind or somebody who wants to get Jaws for the very first time to do this for $90 a year then this is in fact a great deal. I gave the example before for a new Jaws user provided my recollection that Jaws Home used to cost $900 to buy and that was without SMA, with SMA is would be $900 + $120 for a total of $1,020. Let's assume somebody buys Jaws 2019 for the first time and they also buy the SMA which gives them Jaws 2020 and Jaws 2021 and that this in fact does cost $1,020. Then let's say they buy 4 more SMA's over the years like this:

Now (in 2018): Initial purchase of Jaws 2019 with SMA to cover Jaws 2020 and 2021 for $1,020.

Fall of 2019: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2020

Fall of 2020: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2021, the initial 2 SMA's are now used up, buy 2 SMA's again for $120 to cover Jaws 2022 and Jaws 2023, you now spend a total of $1,140

Fall of 2021: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2022

Fall of 2022: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2023, these SMA's are now used up, purchase 2 more for $120 covering Jaws 2024 and Jaws 2025, you now spent $1,260

Fall of 2023: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2024

Fall of 2024: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2025, SMA's are now used up, again buy 2 more for $120 to cover Jaws 2026 and Jaws 2027, you now spent $1,380.00

Fall of 2025: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2026

Fall of 2026: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2027, SMA's are now used up, buy 2 more for $120 to cover Jaws 2028 and Jaws 2029, you now spend $1,500.

Fall of 2027: use 1 SMA for Jaws 2028

Fall of 2028: used 1 SMA for Jaws 2029, SMA's are now used up

The above describes what a new Jaws user would spend over a 10-year time span, it's the initial purchase for $900 + 5 SMA packages for $120/each for a total of $600 so all in all $1,500 are spent.

If said user can subscribe to Jaws for $90/year over 10 years the cost would be $900 which is the original purchase price of Jaws and a 40% discount over the current model.

We all purchased Jaws at some point although I guess in some cases somebody may have had funding to buy it, but maybe not to keep the SMA's up to date. In any case, the person who bought Jaws 10 years ago and kept their SMA's up to date would have still paid $1,500 assuming Jaws cost the same $900 10 years ago and SMA's always cost $120 for 2 SMA's, but I don't think that has changed much. Of course for existing users who are current on their SMA's it is less expensive to continue to buy them as long as Vispero offers that option, but of course we just won't know this and as a business person myself I do understand that at some point costs go up for everything. If Vispero decides that basically charging$60 a year does not cover their costs and that by going to a $90 a year subscription model for all users they can better operate and predict their cash flow then I am totally OK with that even though I once paid a bunch of money up front 30 years ago which a new user now doesn't have to pay. I also bought many versions of Office for hundreds of Dollars and now I simply pay $99 a year for my Office 365 Home subscription whereas the new computer user who has only been around since Office 365 subscriptions have been offered never paid more than $99 a year… so what. Let's not forget that Vispero is a large organisation with probably hundreds of employees, many of whom are blind and who all want to get a paycheque every 2 weeks. They need to have a substantial building, pay for utilities and the usual collection of other costs every business has. NVDA is  a project where many volunteers offer their time and expertise yet they also have costs for server space and all that and without donations NVDA would long since have disappeared.

Regards,

Sieghard