From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, Oct 25, 2018 3:04 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Switching To Classic View In Windows 10 for Windows 7-type View

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 02:09 PM, Marty Hutchings wrote:

It seems a little like we are going back to the days of DOS where we
needed to type in the apps that we wanted to open rather than finding it
in a list or menu.

Not really.  Even in the days of the Start Menu as it was implemented
prior to Windows 10, very few people knew where each and every program
they'd ever installed might be located, and it could take a lot longer
to dig through your Start Menu to find it than to search for it.  If it
was a standalone program, and I still use a lot of those, they never
appear in the Start Menu (at least unless you go to lengths to put them
there).

I truly love the Cortana search feature, which I've neutered down to
just search my machine and not to use speech recognition/personal
digital assistant features at all, for finding those applications I
don't use all that often and that I don't want cluttering up my desktop
or taskbar.  WinKey plus the first few characters of the application
name, just enough to be distinctive, has it pop up generally as the
first item in the search results and all I do is hit Enter to fire it up.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

  *If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from
what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left
with Let's Make a Deal.*

          ~ Fran Lebowitz