Re: Trying to format a krupt usb stick

Dave Durber

Hello Brian:

I have a 64 GB memory stick, on which I created a partition to install Windows from an ISO image.

Unfortunately, when I tried to use the Windows Partition and Format utility to remove the partition containing the Windows installation and return the memory stick back to 64 GB, I got an error telling me that the "Delete Volume function was Unavailable", which meant that the partition could not be deleted/removed.

Following the information you gave in your previous message, I downloaded and used the ImageUSB utility.

The problem is, that when I selected the option to zero the USB Memory stick to return it to its maximum storage capacity of 64 GB, ImageUSB  got rid of the information in the Windows installation partition but, it did not delete/remove the 7.5 GB partition, which was the size of the Windows Installation partition.

Any suggestions as to what I may have not done correctly?

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: Trying to format a krupt usb stick

I'm not quite sure what "corrupt" means in this instance.

It is possible for thumb/jump/flash drives used to create bootable media can seem to lose a lot of the capacity they once had.  The folks who created MemTest86 have a lesser known utility, ImageUSB, that has as its primary purpose creating multiple bootable USB drives using the same ISO image at one time.  It can also be used, however, to reclaim that "lost" space on those drives that experience it by using the "Zero USB drive" option in the utility.

I've had 2 USB thumb drives that have had the "lost capacity" issue after being used to create bootable media and using ImageUSB to zero them out again has reclaimed it each time.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

~ Fran Lebowitz

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.