Re: New Winamp beta on winamp.com

Mario

Brian, Winamp5.66, to uninstall or not necessary?

-------- Original Message --------
From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, Oct 20, 2018 10:41 AM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: New Winamp beta on winamp.com

There have been a couple of reports of folks having issues installing
the Winamp 5.8 beta that's currently available for download at Winamp's
site.  I had no issues at all.

I used NVDA during the install, and I have Unchecky on my system which
runs Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1809 [yes, I got an early update that
worked], Build 17763.  Here is what I encountered after the initial UAC
dialog when launching the Winamp installer:

Dialog 1:  Opening Dialog, just hit the Next button

Dialog 2:  Install type (Standard versus Custom).  Unchecky, if you're
using it, switches any installer that gives standard and custom options
to custom, since if there is bundled software the only way it will be
exposed for a user to choose or decline is with a custom install.  In
the case of Winamp I can report that there is no bundled software, so if
you wish to choose the standard install you should be safe.  That being
said, you will probably not get the next dialog for choosing components
you wish to install, so if you wish to pick and choose, keep/choose the
custom option.  I proceeded with Custom.  Next button.

Dialog 3:  Install Location.  Uses the Program Files (x86) Winamp
folder, which is precisely as expected.  Next button.

Dialog 4:  Choose Components.  Defaults to Full with all skins,
visualizations, etc.  There are three other options to choose from, and
no matter which you choose the component tree changes to indicate via
checkboxes what components are/are not installed with that option.  You
can customize any of them.  I just went with Full.  Next button.

Dialog 5:  Choose Start Options.  Has three checkboxes:  Start Menu
Entry, Quick Launch Icon, Desktop Icon.
                Next button

Dialog 6:  This is the last true Winamp dialog, however, you will get
another UAC dialog right after you launch Winamp for the first time just
like you do when you launch the installer.  The only thing on this
dialog is a checkbox asking if you want to launch Winamp when finished
and the close (or maybe it was finish) button.

NOTE:  If using NVDA, pay attention to the rising beep indicator to
determine when the install is actually complete.  The Winamp installer
exposes each and every item during the install to NVDA, so it keeps
reading and reading and reading well after Dialog 6 above has been
presented and I have no idea how long this might keep going on as I
stopped it about 30 seconds or so after I saw that the install had
completed (and it did complete when the beep indicator tells you it did).
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

  *If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from
what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left
with Let's Make a Deal.*

          ~ Fran Lebowitz