Re: Firefox Lagging and Freezing

Cristóbal

What I do in order to not lose the session since it’s most likely I’ve got tabs open that I’d rather not close, is when Firefox appears to hang on one tab/window, I first launch the task manager.

After that, I navigate to the running Firefox running task. Usually, there will be multiple instances

For example: Process: Firefox closed
Name
Firefox (8)

If I expand this treeview and arrow down, All Jaws reads is Firefox over and over again for all the stuff it’s got running

However when I use the Jaws cursor and arrow among the different Firefox listings, I can read percentages used by each one.

See:

Firefox (8) 1.1% 1,526.5 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
1Password for Windows deskt... 0% 4.4 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Firefox 0% 15.9 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Firefox 0% 193.2 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Firefox 0% 247.2 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Firefox 0% 68.1 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Firefox 0% 198.8 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Firefox 0% 16.8 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps
Firefox 0% 771.5 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps

Firefox 0% 771.5 MB 0 MB/s 0 Mbps

Right now, everything’s running smoothly and thus everything’s more or less at 0%.

However, when there’s a tab that’s giving me problems, There will be one of those Firefox entries posting a crazy high percentage. Indeed, there will always be two Firefox entries with percentages when the browser’s acting funky. The very last Firefox posting with a percentage and one prior to it. Arrowing from top to bottom, it’s the first entry with the high percentage that’s the troublesome tab. I’ll right click on it and select “end task”. This will cause the hanging tab to crash and Firefox will give an error message of something like uh oh. Your tab has crashed. Blah, blah. All I do then is refresh the page and bingo, my tab is back with not having to end the entire thing and lose everything I was either researching or reading or what have you.

Clicking end task on the last Firefox entry in the list will cause the whole browser to crash. So, that’s not the one you want to end task on.

In any event, the ideal situation would be for VFO to quickly put out a fix addressing this bug, but my guess is that they’re focusing all their resources into JFW 2019.

I’m sure the percentage stuff for the sighted is quite visible and pretty straight forward, but it wasn’t until I was poking around with the Jaws cursor trying to figure out how to avoid not closing out the entire browser did I come across this less inconvenient workaround.

Also, I upgraded to Firefox Version 62.0.2 and this hanging thing is still present.

Anyway, there you go. This is what I do for this rather annoying Firefox bug.

Cristóbal