Re: Thank you and a question about pdf files

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

In Windows 10, there are several ways to get a pdf document to open in Adobe Reader, which is what you want. I’ll mention a couple.

First, when in the e-mail client, focus on the attachment and use the application or context menu key to see what choices are offered.  One will likely be to save the document.  Once you do so, go to Documents where it prob ably resides and focus on it.  Use the application key and press H until you hear Open With. Adobe Acrobat Reader will probably be among the first choices, if it isn’t, the menu allows you to choose another app, and you can locate it there.  If you do so, you can tab to a check box to always use this app to open pdf files.

If you can get the pdf saved, or if you have another one on your system, focus on it and press alt+enter to bring up its properties. Once there, tab once to the Change button and press space. Tab to the list of potential apps to use to open pdf files and choose adobe acrobat reader.

Let us know if this doesn’t work.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 7:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Thank you and a question about pdf files

Hi everyone,

First, thanks to  those of you who answered my question about using convenient OCR. It’s awesome!

Now, for another challenge (to me, anyway). A medical person has emailed me an important pdf attachment. I’ve been able to open them in the past. But I haven’t needed to for a while. I’m running JAWS 2018 and Windows 10. I started using Gmail just recently and am still learning to use it.

Meanwhile, I started importing the Gmail into Windows Mail for quick and simple emails—it’s faster for me right now.

Anyway, my problem is this: PDF attachments won’t open. I press enter, and the word “EDGE” is read at the top and that’s all. So I went directly to my Gmail account, and the same thing happened. How did Edge get involved? Is there any way to be able to read this pdf attachment? Help!

Thank you so much.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.