Re: Gmail Web Interface - Quick Location of a Button

Steve Griffiths

Hi Brian,

I'm using Firefox. When I press Ctrl + F, the JAWS virtual find replaces the browser find window. If I'm at the top of the page and search for Settings, it takes me to the Chat settings button; if I then search again it gets me to the Settings button menu.

Another way to get there is with JAWSkey + F5, which lists all form fields, and then S a few times to Settings, then Enter to close the list and put focus on the button menu.  

Or, it's just before the Main region. So press R until you get to that, then UpArrow once.

Steve 🐾

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: 21 September 2018 00:56
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Gmail Web Interface - Quick Location of a Button

I agree with you that it makes no sense that JAWS find won’t find it. However, if you can sign into gmail with Internet explorer and see if JAWS find works, then it is a problem with Chrome finding text on a page.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2018 4:46 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Gmail Web Interface - Quick Location of a Button

Bill,

Was using Chrome.   However, it's not the voicing that's the issue, it's the finding.  If I tab my way around, or use repeated presses of the "B" quick navigation command, when one lands on the Settings Menu button it is announced as such (though the exact title eludes me).  But if you JAWS Search for what was announced JAWS tells you it's not found.  That makes no sense to me.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

This email and any attachment to it are confidential. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or disclose either the message or any information contained in the message.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this email and notify the sender immediately.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender only, unless otherwise stated.
All emails, incoming and outgoing, may be recorded by Guide Dogs and monitored for legitimate business purposes.
Guide Dogs exclude all liability for any loss or damage arising or resulting from the receipt, use or transmission of this email to the fullest extent permitted by law.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Tel: 0118 983 5555
Email: guidedogs@...
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG.
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales (209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.