Re: Firefox extended support release

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Fair enough. But when you have browsers becoming unsupported and going further “out-of-date”, often various elements of the web simply no longer work right. We’re seeing this already with Internet Explorer, even though technically it *is* still supported by Microsoft. There are also security holes in the browsers themselves that, once discovered, literally need to be patched even though they never bothered anybody until said discovery. I know Mozilla was just alerted to one they deemed “critical” just the other week. I know everyone can be a bit alarmist about computer security at times, and I know updates can be a pain, but I think the web browser is one piece of software I would like to keep current, and would especially advise those who might not be quite as savvy as others that they should probably do this.

I totally understand not wanting to pay for JAWS updates. It is unfortunate that FS didn’t backport Firefox Quantum support to at least JAWS 18, since they did so with Edge support. But there are alternatives. NVDA for instance works great with Firefox today. I did pay for a JAWS upgrade and I’m still not happy with JAWS Firefox support, as there’s a bug that causes it to keep crashing on at least some of our machines.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: September 15, 2018 6:58 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Firefox extended support release

Well, I did this for a number of years. I use Eset NOD32 as my antivirus, and I turned off all the threat measures in Firefox. I don’t need multilayers of protection, as long as my antivirus and firewall are working and up-to-date.

If I were going to help someone do this, I would give them caveats, but many people don’t want to pay for another version of JAWS, and may want to stay with their same browser.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...